Friday, January 29, 2016

Trust

Trust                                                       01-29-16

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (ESV) 9  Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil.
10  For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!
11  Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone?
12  And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.


I heard something this week that went something like this. God designed us to function in community. He did not create a bunch of  Lone Rangers that neither needed nor trusted one another. Now at the risk of being labeled an insensitive brute, I must confess that I am not one of those that seek and study about relationships and how to improve them. That may be to my shame, but as my friend Amanda says"I'm just being honest here." (smile) 

As I went about my business this week ,I suddenly realized the level of distrust I have.I think it was the talk swirling around the debates and whatnot that set me to thinking.  I began to take stock of the candidates, Republican and Democrat and concluded that I don't believe a word ANY of them say. They and the entire political process occupy the zenith of my distrust .That view being justified or not, I began to look elsewhere,and with an honest assessment, concluded that I didn't trust very much at all. I wondered why and if that were a good thing. As I thought about it, that statement on community and the above Scripture came to mind.

Trust is one of those intangibles that doesn't lend itself easily to words. It is a feeling or a confidence isn't it? It is a reliance upon someone or something that believes they have your back. But here is the truth about trust. It takes years to build and seconds to destroy. An errant word or a selfish act can destroy years of building.

That Scripture in Ecclesiastes declares that this life is easier if we travel it with someone else. For when we go through a difficult time they are there to help us. But, that presupposes that we have allowed them into our lives doesn't it. We have trusted them with some(not necessarily all) of the intimate details of our life. We have become transparent and somewhat vulnerable,right? Therein lie the danger of trusting in another doesn't it? We allow the possibility of attack or abuse and the resulting pain that accompanies it. It's scary. Especially if we have been on the receiving end of a betrayal or attack. Once bitten, twice shy.

We put up walls and if we aren't careful, we isolate ourselves from everyone; and, it seeps through in our dealings with one another. We begin to feel, talk and act as if we need no one. I once had someone tell me that someone very close to them kept telling them that they didn't need them. "Don't think that I NEED you to do this or that I NEED you to do that. Don't think that I NEED you for anything." Ever hear that? Yeah we all have I'm sure. Just an observation here. It seems to me that kind of talk usually is underlying an attempt at manipulation or intimidation.That's my take on it. However, just one problem with all that tough talk. What? You say. Just this. You say that enough to someone, whatever your intent,one day they wake up and discover or decide that they don't need you either!! That street runs in both directions.You feelin'me here?

I remember that line in the movie "The Shawshank Redemption." "Hope is a dangerous thing." Well, so is trust. You open yourself up to disappointment and hurt. It just comes with the territory. We can walk it by ourself or walk it with somebody.

 Psalm 13:5 (ESV) 5  But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.



God Bless






     

  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment