Friday, June 5, 2015

I'd Rather Fight Than Switch         06-05-15

22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.
Romans 7:22-23 (NASB)

You have to go back a bit to appreciate the title this PM. It's the advertising slogan for a cigarette commercial. The brand was Tareyton.Remember those? Sweet smell is what I remember about them. I don't know if they are still around, at any rate, I will try and make some sense of it all. smile.

I have read the theological arguments for the above verses. Actually, for the whole seventh chapter of Romans. The argument is whether Paul is writing to a believer or a non believer. Sound arguments on both sides. Leaving that right there, I believe it was written to a believer. Why? you may or may not ask. Just this.. those verses have been my PERSONAL experience, untold times, during  my walk with the Lord. How so, Ronnie?

Here's my take.

 Circumstances oft times arise in our lives that require a difficult decision. Many times there may be a perceived or so called "grey area" that enters into our decision making process.  Or, many times, God will speak to our hearts to do something that seems a little off the wall and we scratch our heads and say "huh??" This is where the above verses become most appropriate don't they?

Yesterday, I sat out on my deck pondering, meditating blah, blah, blah, on what course of action that I should take concerning a circumstance. You see, God and His word were clear on what I should do; but, I didn't want to do it. Not that it was all that painful or difficult, it wasn't. I just didn't want to do it. Ya feelin' this or is it only me?

As I sat there, I allowed my mind to fashion all manner of VALID, SENSIBLE, even COMPELLING arguments for NOT doing what my heart(God) was instructing me to do. You see when God first confronted me with His will, it was a good thing. It felt right and I was nodding my head in agreement, you know how it goes don't you? Then, I started THINKING BOUT IT! That's the battle isn't it? In this Christian walk, we are faced with choices aren't we?

Sometimes it is the world system, the enemy of our souls that wage war against our minds and hearts. Yes that's very true.. Ah....but I believe most times it is us, no, it is our FLESH that assaults our souls.

You see we make VALID, SENSIBLE, even COMPELLING arguments in our minds and call it reasonable. It make GOOD SENSE to disregard that quickening in our hearts. "It wasn't God, it was me." That sound familiar? We call it prudent or reasonable.

God calls it disobedience.

You see folks sometimes it is a fight to "do it God's way" isn't it? Trust me I know. Look at this.

 5 We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,
2 Cor 10:5 (NASB)

Along with verses on anointing, this is one of the most abused and misused scriptures in the Word Of God. We use it as a punchline. We bandy it about,quoting it as if it were a light or easy thing. We assume authority that was never ours to begin with(that authority resides with God) to destroy speculations or as the KJV says "casting down imaginations."

"Oh yeah, I'm just gonna go out there and destroy all those thoughts and imaginations. I'm gonna bind the devil and stomp on his head." Ever hear that? That's well and good, but,..... BUT, it isn't as easy as some would have you believe is it? Look at the preceding verse.

4 for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.
2 Cor 10:3-4 (NASB)

Weapons, warfare, fortresses.... sounds like a battle to me. No stroll in the meadow as far as I can tell.
 How about you?

Brothers and sisters, as I write this, I am reminded of the many stories about people who have been drowning. You know the story. A person gets into deep water and gets in trouble. When the lifeguard arrives, the person is in such a panic that he FIGHTS the one who is trying to save him.

That's many times the way we deal with the leading of the Holy Spirit isn't it? All God is wanting from us is to yield to His direction.

Yield-"to give place or preference"

He doesn't ask us to initiate some great task or undertaking. He even tells us that we are powerless in our own strength to accomplish anything for Him or us. All He wants us to do is to yield to His will. To simply give place to His direction. 

The reasons for not doing that are many and varied. They are sensible, compelling and reasonable. They scream at us to use some "common sense."

However, if we can just give place to that leading, that "voice" behind us saying "this is the way." Then we will be ahead of the game.

. 21 Your ears will hear a word behind you, " This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left.
Isaiah 30:20-21 (NASB)

Don't fight, just switch.

14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (NASB)


God Bless   


No comments:

Post a Comment