Friday, May 22, 2015

Just My Imagination                          05-22-15

11 A rich man's wealth is his strong city,  And like a high wall in his own imagination.
Prov 18:11 (NASB)

Do you remember the Temptations song "Just My Imagination?" That song stirs memories of my stay overseas while in the military. Upon hearing that song, I would often close my eyes and imagine, dream, whatever, about being back home. It would almost be like a trance you know? I would let my mind conjure up these images of "the world" and briefly I would almost swear I was back home. Then, from nowhere, the sights and sounds of reality would invade my imaginary world. I would be jolted back to the "real world" of my surroundings.

I came across this verse recently and the last four words stuck in my mind. Now, to be sure, this verse is speaking to the individual and the dangers of relying on the things of this world, instead of the living God. Could it be.....? More on that shortly.

I listen to the BBC Europe oftentimes on the radio while I am driving at night. The reason I enjoy listening is the perspective I get from the London broadcast. It is, how do they say it,...Euro centric. The news over there doesn't center around Washington, D.C. or New York or even these United States.

They report from places like North Africa, the Middle East, the worlds around them if you will. One thing is for sure.The portrait of the lives of these people, and the circumstances they face, makes my life seem like a fairy tale. Idyllic, Alice in Wonderland comes to mind. Blessed beyond measure by God Almighty is the actual truth of the matter.

For a long while now, God has been impressing  my heart about a personal relationship with Him. You know, one on one. I understand that is a worn out subject. The number of sermons that have been preached on that solitary subject is like the sand of the sea. But, for me these days, it has been freshened, and has taken on a renewed importance.

Why? I am not sure I know. Maybe, like my buddy and I were talking today, it is the realization that the harsh realities experienced by our brothers and sisters around the world, have now been placed at our doorstep. Could it be?

Could it be ..that just as the rich man in the above verse, we as a nation, have shifted our trust from the God of all the universe to the riches and mammon of this world?  Could it be.. that because of the unheard of blessing that God has bestowed upon us,we as a people have forgotten where it comes from?And we have IMAGINED that our untold wealth and riches are now our high wall, our strong city.

 Could it be.. that God has insulated this nation so completely from the ravages of satan, that we no longer heed the preceding verse..
  10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower; The righteous runs into it and is safe.
Prov 18:10 (NASB)

...and instead run headstrong into the following verse...

12  Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, But humility goes before honor.
Prov 18:12 (NASB)

Have we imagined ourselves as a nation into a false sense of self righteousness and security? I simply do not have the answer to that question. But, I do know this. We ALL, this writer included, above ALL things need to find God for ourselves. We need to know Him personally. If we look at what is going on around us..ON OUR VERY DOORSTEP, YOUR DOORSTEP AND MY DOORSTEP, the storm clouds, very real, if we choose to acknowledge them... are not just our imagination.

1  Rescue me, O Lord, from evil men; Preserve me from violent men 2 Who devise evil things in their hearts; They continually stir up wars. 3 They sharpen their tongues as a serpent; Poison of a viper is under their lips. Selah.
Psalms 140:1-3 (NASB)

God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment