Saturday, July 12, 2014

Jesus Saves                                                                           07-12-14

Romans 8:38-39 (NASB) 38  For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
39  nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The old Pogo quote is relevant here today. You remember Pogo don't you? The Okefeenoke Swamp sage is credited with the following saying,"We have met the enemy and he is us." That quote came to mind recently while I was speaking with a friend.They told me of a mutual acquaintance that had decided to give up on God. This person had been beaten down by folks for a long time. He related how he had been criticized over and over for his behavior and some of the choices that he had made. He had endured it for so long that he had started believing it himself. To hear him say it, people never noticed the positive aspects of his life, instead they droned on about his "sins." He became so discouraged that he finally resigned himself to the fact that he didn't measure up and never would. He determined that he was done with church, God and all the rest of it. This laid on my heart for a while and I thought that today would be a good day to give my take on the subject.

We humans and I include myself in that number(smile) are skillful at pointing out others shortcomings. We are expert fault finders. We set up arbitrary and SUBJECTIVE standards of behavior that we expect everyone EXCEPT OURSELVES to adhere to. When it comes to holding ourselves accountable we always can find a good reason for doing what we did. We had a good excuse. We justify our behavior to ourselves. Keep that word justify close. According to the above verses, nothing separates us from God's love. This is spoken in a context of salvation and the new birth. No created thing (we humans are included in that lot) can separate us from God's love. Now, look at this.

Romans 8:29-30 (NASB) 29  For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;
30  and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Look at the word foreknew. It means "to determine ahead of time to enter into a loving relationship with someone."  Predestined means "to decide upon beforehand." He determined ahead of time to embrace you and I SPECIFICALLY! We were chosen in eternity past. Not only that, we were destined to become conformed to Jesus' image. In down home language this is what God is saying here," Look, I decided long ago to pick you up when you fell off the turnip truck and long, long ago I decided that I would save you and clean you up through my Son's blood. Why? BECAUSE I AM SOVEREIGN, I AM GOD ALMIGHTY,  AND I WANTED TO, THAT'S WHY!!Didn't have anything to do with you or anybody else." Let that sink in. Let's move on. "..those whom He predestined,He also called." Listen, we didn't do anything when we got saved. God chose and called us. That's why Jesus said that we didn't choose Him, but He chose us. Look that verse up. Now, this is where it really takes off.

"...those whom He called, He also justified..." In a nutshell we not only were acquitted of guilt but we are seen as never having missed the mark. Through Jesus blood we are seen as having kept the standard that Jesus kept. At the cross we are put right with God. Sin is done away with not covered. Through the cross we have kept God's righteous standard. If you and I have been justified then we have also been glorified. Now, I don't understand the structure and grammar of the Greek but this verse is in what is called an "aorist comprehensive." Now, they tell me that means a full complete action. There is no discrimination between the four verbs. They are a whole unit. All are complete. If you have been called,then you have been glorified. There is no stopping in between the actions. Now here is my point for saying all of the above. Listen to this and think about it this week if you are struggling with doubt, and/or self or otherwise imposed condemnation. 

Here is the God of all the universe telling us that nothing can separate us from His love. Here He is telling us that in eternity past He planned and made secure our destiny not because of any BEHAVIOR OR EFFORTon our part. No,no it was because it pleased Him to do it. It was His choice,not ours. Don't ask me why, I do not know. Only when He brings me into His Glory will I ever know. All I can do is accept it and say thank you. Now, if that is the reality of my relationship with God then should I allow anything or anybody to say otherwise? Of course we all do from time to time. Feelings are fickle but they are also powerful. If you are struggling today with your own frailty or if someone else has told you how sorry you are,.. don't fret. God chose you to be His a long, long time ago. No one, not even you can snatch you out of His Hand.

Psalm 27:1 (NASB) 1
 The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?




God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment