Saturday, June 28, 2014

Scofflaws                                                                                 06-28-14

Proverbs 14:34 (NASB) 34  Righteousness exalts a nation, But sin is a disgrace to any people.



I thought this week that I would read the news a little more closely than my normal headline scan. Normally I will read just the headline and the accompanying trailer, usually a few introductory sentences, then skip to the next headline. But, this week I decided to "click" to the whole article and get the inside skinny. Well, as you have probably already anticipated, that was a big mistake. It took about ten minutes and I was shaking my head in outright rage. (smile) It is apparent that we have become a nation of scofflaws. A people that mock, deride, and for the most part ignore the tried and tested laws of this nation. But, this week some took it a step further. It seems that a significant portion of  the mainline church has decided to take a stand against God and His Holy Word. I won't go into details. You can search it out for yourself if you are even interested. As I sat there shaking my head in disbelief, I felt my spirit welling up inside of me. You know don't you? You hear an impassioned speech or a powerful, anointed sermon and you get fired up. You are ready to go DO SOMETHING! You are going to CHANGE SOME THINGS AROUND HERE! How dare they even consider doing such a dastardly deed. Well,... over my cold, dead  body. You know how that goes don't you? That's kinda how I felt this week after reading "the whole article."(smile again) Then reality set in." Well Ronnie, just what is it that you are planning to do?" said the voice of reason and rationality. Sometimes that voice is your friend, sometimes it is not, but that is another story. At any rate, I plopped back down in the chair, realizing my revolution was over before it ever got started. I sat there for a few moments and clicked on to the sports section( the only section that I read thoroughly on a consistent basis). Then, a couple of verses crossed my mind as I read about the Red Sox.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NASB) 17  pray without ceasing;

Ephesians 6:12 (NASB) 12  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Folks many battles are fought in the courtrooms, schools, and streets across this land, but, none are ever WON there! No, no. The battles are won in prayer closets. Yes, I believe God has called people to wage battles in public arenas. But, do you realize that prayer is the only remedy that we as Christians have been empowered with to wage those spiritual wars? Folks, if we believe that spiritual wickedness is fearful of a protest sign in the street, we are mistaken. If, for one minute, we believe these principalities will stop the tempting of our children with drugs, alcohol, etc. because of a "just say no" slogan, or a "this is your brain on drugs" ad, then.... we are deceived. So while I conjure up visions of grandeur in my mind of leading a great charge against the forces of evil, God reminds me that the REAL BATTLE  is unseen.

Brothers and sisters sometimes our future as a people and a nation appears bleak. We wag our fingers at the God of all the universe, thinking we are immune from His correction because of a sense of entitlement that we believe we deserve from Him. I pray that He stays His hand of wrath against this country. The flip side for us as Christians however is the fact that no matter what.. He's got our back. He is sovereign. His plan is moving surely toward His desired outcome. I just pray that our nation can stay under His hand of mercy.

Psalm 91:1-2 (NASB) 1  He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2  I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!"





God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment