Friday, August 16, 2013

The Darnel                                                                            08-16-13



As the telepols (my new word for the tv politicians lol) postured for the cameras this week, I was reminded of one of Jesus' parables that we might all benefit from.


Matthew 13:24-30 (NASB) 24  Jesus presented another parable to them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.
25  "But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.
26  "But when the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the tares became evident also.
27  "The slaves of the landowner came and said to him, 'Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?'
28  "And he said to them, 'An enemy has done this!' The slaves *said to him, 'Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?'
29  "But he *said, 'No; for while you are gathering up the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them.
30  ~'Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, "First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn."'"



There's an interesting story behind the "tare" of this parable. You may have heard it but I will share it again. The tare of Matthew 13 is actually called a darnel. In this case it is a bearded darnel. The darnel is a common weed found among crops of wheat and barley. It is very similar in appearance to wheat and oddly enough becomes more readily identifiable as a darnel when seen side by side with wheat, at harvest, when both plants are MATURE. At maturity the stalk of wheat with a full head of grain literally bows much like we would bow at the waist. The darnel on the other hand is very rigid and unbending. Another sidebar is the fruit they produce. Of course we all know that bread is a final product of wheat, but the seeds of tares are POISONOUS even unto death to men and beasts. You see Jesus wasn't giving a lecture on agriculture no,no. The wheat and tares in the parable are illustrations of people. I'm sure you knew that but I threw it in anyway.(SMILE) I hear this all the time and have said it myself on more than one occasion." I want to be more spiritual" or"I want to be more like Jesus." When I hear that I am reminded of the pearl told me many moons ago when I voiced the same desire. "Be careful what you ask for, they crucified Jesus!" Amen?! Look at this.


Matthew 18:1-4 (NASB) 1  At that time the disciples came to Jesus and said, "Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
2  And He called a child to Himself and set him before them,
3  and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
4  "Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.



Pay close attention to verse 4. "Whoever then humbles himself..."  That word humble means in a good sense "of low degree, brought low" "to make (yourself) low."


You see we could all take a lesson from that wheatstalk couldn't we? That darnel or tare all it's life stays rigid and unbending. God has another word for it "stiffnecked"! You see we all at one time or another have been like that tare haven't we?(smile) We get our hind parts on our shoulders and get that attitude. You know what I'm talkin bout don't you? It's my way or the highway. I know what's best for me(and you too a lot of the time..AMEN??) and I ain't(hillbilly for am not lol) changing!! We become rigid and unbending. Unteachable. Poisonous to those around us and to our own spirits as well. One of the first things I was taught as a Christian was I had to develop a teachable spirit. That, brothers and sisters, is a life long learning process. Trust me on that one.  Yes, that's right Ronnie. Contrary to what you believe, you DON'T have all the answers. And no, you are not always right. It's not your way or the highway or, if that is what you insist on, you will be travelling alone! But, the wheatstalk...hmm..as it matures full of fruit, all it does is bow to the Creator.No hidden agendas. No unholy ambition. No posturing. Unlike the tare, it humbles itself, bows, and acknowledges God as Lord of all. And let me insert this here.. it understands that God has ALL the answers. He isn't saying one thing to you and me,all the while having made some compromise in the back room. He's already given us the answers and solutions for this life and He for sure ain't changing.


Don't you think that to be more like Jesus we could take a lesson from the wheat? The more we humble ourselves before the Almighty God and allow Him to use us in whatever way He desires, the more we become like Jesus. Isn't that the desirable fruit we all want to produce. Doesn't that make sense? All we need do is bow our hearts and acknowledge our need of our Lord and let HIM take care of the rest. Amen and Amen.


A personal note here. Please allow me to share own thoughts if you will. When I see people shedding their blood and dying in the service of false religions and false gods all I can do is say "thank you" to the Lord Jesus for having mercy on me. Thank You Lord Jesus.


 Psalm 71:5-6 (NASB) 5  For You are my hope; O Lord GOD, You are my confidence from my youth.
6  By You I have been sustained from my birth; You are He who took me from my mother's womb; My praise is continually of You.



God Bless

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete