Friday, February 15, 2013


Bought With A Price


20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.
1 Cor 6:20 (NASB)


Paul must have wanted to drive this point home because he mentioned again in the next chapter.


23 You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men.
1 Cor 7:23 (NASB)


Bought with a price. This isn't one of those feel good verses is it? It makes me squirm a little bit. It speaks of ownership. As a matter of fact in a previous verse (6:19) Paul says that we are not our own. Paul, on numerous occasions, goes as far to say that we are bondslaves of the Lord Jesus Christ. That doesn't echo of political correctness does it? In essence it is saying that when we sign on to God's program, He owns us lock, stock and barrel; to be used by Him for His sovereign purpose any way He sees fit. That would seem to answer a lot of the "why" questions(not all, but a lot) we have about life.


21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?

Romans 9:21 (NASB)


That being said let me get down to it. I labored for many years under a delusion of what success really was. Truth be known it was so ingrained within me that I still from time to time wrestle with my sense of "success" in this life. In reality, my battles have not been with my crowning successes, on the contrary, it is a sense of failure that has haunted me. Ever feel that way? Can't see the great things God has done in your life?No, no, it's the shortcomings and failures that glare back at you. Yeah, I feel ya. You know in our world success is usually measured in material wealth or in accomplishment. It seems that in ministry it's all about numbers. Better programs, bigger buildings, more people, you know what I mean? In the world, success and with it self worth is graded by you know...cha ching...who's got the most bling! Amen? He who dies with the most toys wins!! I believe God does the grading on a different scale. It's not about success, it's about FAITHFULNESS. Yeah, I know..it's taken DECADES for that to get down into my soul and I still deal with it. Remember our verse? Bought with a price. God uses us,you and me, for His purposes, whether the world puts a successful tag on it or not. Let me tell you something(and me too!smile) Our circumstances, our ministries, our lives may not measure up in the world's eyes. Heck, they may not measure up in OUR OWN EYES! But, if we are faithful to God's call, no matter what it is; if we are following His path as best we can, then we are measuring up in HIS eyes!


3 But to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord.
1 Cor 4:3-4 (NASB)


Let me give you an example from Scripture of an "unsuccessful" ministry. Turn with me to Isaiah please.

Isaiah's Commission
8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!" 9 He said, "Go, and tell this people: 'Keep on listening, but do not perceive; Keep on looking, but do not understand.' 10 " Render the hearts of this people insensitive, Their ears dull, And their eyes dim, Otherwise they might see with their eyes, Hear with their ears, Understand with their hearts, And return and be healed." 11 Then I said, "Lord, how long?" And He answered, "Until cities are devastated and without inhabitant, Houses are without people And the land is utterly desolate
Isaiah 6:8-13 (NASB)


You know Isaiah boldly answers God's call. "Here am I. Send me!" That's the way it is with us sometimes isn't it. We're going to jump right in and save the world. Then reality sets in. Look at verse 9. Isaiah basically was told that his ministry, his God called, God ordained ministry was going to be a.....FAILURE! Isaiah you're going to minister to people that will not understand, they will not perceive. They will be insensitive, dull and dim. Hmmm. I can hear Isaiah now. " Jeez Louise, this isn't going to be much to write home about. No entourages flying about. No great audiences filling up auditoriums every where I go.Hmmm...I don't know about this??" Once he gets the big picture, he asks God a question, "Lord, how long?" God's answer in so many words,"..for the rest of your life"


God has a purpose and His purpose is sovereign. It can't be thwarted. You remember that soul that you gave an encouraging word to last week? That was just as important(maybe more so) in God's eyes as that mighty preacher who ministered to thousands. That child or parent or neighbor that you helped will receive the same reward as Billy Graham or T.D.Jakes some day. Your circumstances may not be what you desire. People may look at you like you are a nobody. You may even feel like a nobody, but, just take a page from Isaiah. I'm sure he felt like a failure when the people rejected him. But, he was able to trust that God had His back and would keep and protect him through it all. Well, look where his messages and sermons ended up! Amen!! Keep on keeping on. Be encouraged. You and I are where we are for a reason and a purpose. We are bought with a price.


4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalms 23:4 (NASB)


God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment